a close-up of an eye with red smoky makeup look and false lashes

Hi, everyone! I feel like I haven't done any makeup tutorials on my blog for ages! However, a few days ago I came up with a very interesting, and special series on my blog. Each new month, I plan to post a brand new makeup step-by-step makeup tutorial, inspired by 12 birthstones. Starting off with an eye look inspired by the Garnet gem.

Garnet is January's birthstone and it is available in many colors ranging from very light brown and beige shades to all shades of deep burgundy and almost black. Interesting fact — Garnet is a state stone for New York. As a reference for my makeup tutorial, I took a picture of a very beautiful raw garnet stone and it inspired me to create a very simple, yet incredibly stunning garnet makeup look with a nice smoky eye effect.

a close-up of an eye with red smoky makeup look and false lashes

How to Do Makeup Look Inspired by Garnet Gemstone?


1. First of all we need to make sure our makeup will last all day long without fallouts and color fading. Prepare the eyelid skin by applying an eyeshadow primer, give it some time to set down on the skin.

2. Fill in your eyebrows using a natural-looking eyebrow pencil or eyeshadow. Start to apply a coral-red eyeshadow on the outer half of the eyelid, you can use shimmer or matte eyeshadow, but I would recommend you use shimmer, add a little more drama to the look.

3. Apply a mahogany shimmer eyeshadow on the outer corner of your eyelid and intensify the color by adding a little bit of a black shadow. Use a matte rose eyeshadow to blend out the crease.

a close-up of an eye with red smoky makeup look and false lashes

4. The next step is to put a pure white eyeshadow in the corner of the eye and the brow bone to make the eye look open and fresh. Use a soft blending brush to blend the transitions between the colors and ensure no harsh lines.

5. Tightline your eyes — apply black matte eye kohl on the top and bottom waterline Curl your lashes and apply a few coats of your favorite mascara. The next step is to apply false lashes and your Garnet-inspired makeup look is done!

Happy birthday to everyone, who was born in the month f January and I hope you liked my Garnet Makeup, please let me know if you like my idea of a birthstone makeup series, and don’t forget to follow my blog for more looks. Hugs and kisses!

Lots of love,
Liz